20090618

Lipsynch


I went to see Lipsynch on the last day of Luminato at St. Lawrence Market. I have never seen a play by Lepage before except hearing rave reviews from friends. On the same day was Woofstock, which claims to be the largest outdoor festival for dogs in North America. I struggled my way to the theatre as hundreds of dog lovers strolling through the open market with their four-footed friends.

The theatre was packed. Obviously many took up the challenge and made the effort to attend this marathon performance. Next to me sat a couple from the States here for the weekend to see Lipsynch. Sometimes I feel kind of lucky to live in Toronto. For me, I really enjoyed and marveled at the many levels of ideas and creativity Robert Lepage and Ex Machina have achieved in this play. The opening scene was especially memorable. It unfolded itself in a clever, gorgeously designed and lit passenger-plane interior. At one end a woman sang an opera aria of sorrowful songs (Henryk Górecki, Katowice) while at the other, a baby cried. After all, it's about communication and the human voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment